Are Pothos Toxic To Pets?

The care of house plants is an increasingly popular pastime for a growing number of people. It doesn’t matter if it’s succulents pothos, plants that trail, people are eager taking care of their own home plants and watch their growth, flourish and thrive.

The pothos, for instance is among the most easy houseplants to cultivate and maintain even if you’re one of those who often forgets to water your plants (we’ve been there).

But, you need be cautious with pothos plants because they are toxic and could be dangerous for animals. If you have some questions, we’re here to calm your nerves and answer any questions you may have!

Do all pothos pose a risk to pets?

Despite its ease to maintain it, pothos is extremely toxic to animals . As per the ASPCA , the plant is frequently called the Devil’s Ivy because the pothos plant is extremely poisonous to animals , including dogs and cats, and may cause negative reactions for humans.

In fact, every part of this gorgeous, but poisonous plant could be a danger. This includes the leaves, seeds as well as the root. If any component of the plant is consumed by an animal, like a pet it could cause diarrhea, vomiting liver failure, or death.

While humans aren’t so susceptible to the toxicity of the pothos plant, it could cause irritation to the skin and mouth burning nausea and diarrhea, as well as swelling of the tongue, lips and throat in certain individuals.

Pothos plants aren’t considered to be dangerous to humans in small amounts, however you must be aware that pothos plants must be kept out of the reach of pets like dogs and cats.

What makes a pothos plant toxic?

Pothos plants are an example of a trailing vine that is indigenous in the Solomon Islands in the South Pacific. The plant is adored for its heart-shaped leaves with stunning patterns, shapes and colors, however it’s extremely toxic.

Pothos plants are extremely toxic because of the calcium oxalate crystals that are insoluble found in their stems and leaves. The calcium oxalate crystals are like tiny shards of glass, as they can pierce and cause irritation to the eye, skin or mouth when they are touched and eaten.

They may also harm the respiratory tract and digestive system when chewed or swallowed and this is the reason they can be extremely hazardous for animals like canines and cats.

dog with glasses on

What should you do when your dog has eaten pothos?

Pothos plants are extremely toxic and poisonous for dogs, causing irritation to the tongue and mouth, that can lead to difficulties breathing, swallowing or cause nausea and even liver damage. Keep your pets clear of pothos-related plants in all times!

Accidents do occur and your pet could have eaten a portion of your pothos plant.

If you notice that your dog has consumed a portion of a pothos, you must contact your vet immediately. The earlier you seek treatment, the higher the chance of your dog undergoing an entire recovery.

The signs of poisoning caused by pothos in dogs include:

  • The mouth is irritated lips, eyes, lips, or tongue
  • Excessive drooling
  • Mouth foaming
  • Trouble swallowing
  • Vomiting
  • Problems with the respiratory system
  • The mouth is pawed
  • Trouble breathing

If you observe any of these signs, immediately bring your dog to the vet or a professional immediately.

The vet can address the issue by cleaning off the mouth, and eliminating any plant debris which could cause further harm. The vet may also place your pet in oxygen therapy if the dog are unable to breathe normally.

If your dog’s swelling has been spotted up in some place, the vet may prescribe antihistamines until your pet is stable and is in a good health.

Since pothos is toxic, your dog could also require fluids to flush out the toxic substances from the body and to prevent them from damaging the kidneys or liver that could stop working and eventually shut down. This could lead to death. Therefore, your vet needs to immediately take action once the pothos has been consumed to get the most benefit.

The American College of Veterinary Pharmacists declares that the ‘ minimal threshold of toxic levels isn’t established,’which is the reason you must notify the vet immediately in the event that you suspect your pet may have consumed pothos.

The majority of cases of toxic pothos are mild, as certain dogs can only consume just a small amount, and with the proper treatment your dog will be safe. But, it is recommended to place the plants in a higher place and out of reach of children and pets in order to stay sure.

What should I do if my cat is eating the pothos?

Cats are very curious animals, and they may attempt to eat some the pothos plant. If you spot cats chewing on your pothos plant, bring them to the vet immediately.

It could be beneficial to make a note of the specific pothos that is being examined to allow the vet to look it over and decide the most effective course of action promptly.

Pothos poisoning can trigger the same reaction in cats just as it can in dogs, which is why you should take your pet to a vet to get them treated swiftly and efficiently for the best results and to bring the pet to their normal state of health.

Summary

If you suspect that the animal you are concerned about has consumed or ingested a portion of your pothos plant then you must seek medical attention immediately.

Pothos plants are extremely toxic and poisonous, and can harm digestion, causing respiratory issues and possibly kidney or liver failure.

This is the reason you must be sure to keep the plant away from the reach of animals and children to protect yourself!

 

Stephanie

Stephanie

Went from a bad gardener to a half-decent one over 10+ years. Super happy to share my tips and tricks with you :)