Can You Be Allergic to A Monstera Leaf?

Are you allergic to Monstera? Yes, you can. Monstera of all species have been proven to be potentially harmful to animals and humans, including cats and dogs. Monstera is most commonly a threat to humans through contact, and occasionally through ingestion, for reasons to be discussed in a bit further down.

Humans are afflicted with allergies through one of three methods that include ingestion, inhalation or contact with the membranes or skin. If you think you’ve been experiencing allergies towards your monstera continue reading.

There are many houseplants that can be allergic or toxic for animals and humans, in varying degrees of severity. Monstera is, thankfully, generally not fatal. Actually, it’s classified as a low-level toxic plant in this regard.

However, it can trigger extremely unpleasant reactions. Let’s discuss the reasons, effects, and what you should do if you’re experiencing the symptoms of an allergy to monstera.

Are There Different Types of Monstera?

Monstera is a well-loved plant genus for those who have green thumbs. They’re a lush, deep green, and often have beautiful, large leaves.

There are actually 48 kinds of monstera however some, such as the Deliciosa, are more prevalent than others. Certain species are rare such as the uncommon Monstera Obliqua.

Monstera is sometimes referred to by its other names, such as Swiss cheese plant or hurricane plant, and belongs to the Araceae family.

Monstera can be mistaken with split-leaf Philodendrons however, technically speaking, philodendron and monstera are not the same plant.

Why Is Monstera Toxic to Humans?

There’s a specific reason for toxicities in monstera. Although some plants can trigger allergic reactions due to their pollen (a frequent phenomenon) Monstera is an even more painful sting in the sense of.

It is due to the existence of calcium Oxalate crystals. There are some scientists who believe there are minor toxicants in certain monstera, however, these have yet to be verified as the primary reason for allergic reactions.

The crystals add an irritant to the sap of the plant. When sap comes into contact with skin, it can cause irritation, itchiness and swelling. It can also cause the condition is called eczema. (Nasty.)

Naturally, these signs are particularly unpleasant If, for any reason, the same sap or crystals come into contact with your lips, eyes tongue, and other areas that are sensitive to the body.

If you or an infant manages to chew on a huge leaf, or swallow anything and then ingest it, it can trigger an extremely uncomfortable and unpleasant (possibly uncomfortable) inner reaction.

In rare instances in the event of prolonged exposure (or an excessive amount is consumed) it could be dangerous. This is why these calcium oxalate crystals should not be played with.

What Are Calcium Oxalate Crystals?

Oxalate crystals aren’t common – you’ll probably drift by them throughout your daily day. They can be found in a variety of green leaves and vegetables.

When the oxalate is combined with calcium, and is found in a space with inadequate water, it forms crystals that turn to form hard dry deposits. When this happens, we develop the well-known kidney stones.

It’s the exact substance. In certain plants, such as monstera and dieffenbachia, the crystals may form into the shape of a needle, that is sharp and can cause micro-lacerations.

As a bonus, dieffenbachia’s crystals are so strong, they could even result in a loss of ability to speak when ingested.

The barbs and demands of the crystals can irritate the throat and mouth membranes to the point it is referred to for its dumb cane (dumb meaning incapable of speaking, do you see? ).

Luckily, the cases that involve monstera aren’t usually as serious. However, it is an unpleasant experience.

Is the Monstera Plant Itchy?

It can certainly cause an abundance of itching. Let’s get specific:

The symptoms of contact with the juice of the monstera plant may cause irritation to the skin. Itchy skin and, in extreme cases, painful.

This is why it is a good idea to purchase gloves for gardening gloves to avoid handling the plant by hand.

Any person who eats leaf or the stems the plant could experience burning tongue and mouth. If one of the plants is consumed the throat can also be affected. However, you might also experience vomiting, nausea and cramps.

Will a Monstera Kill My Cat or Dog?

Amber alert! The presence of the crystals of oxalate makes monstera extremely poisonous to cats and dogs.

While a human may be able to endure the toxic effects (perhaps due to its relative size) however, animals or cats will be more prone to suffering severe reactions when they do ingest a portion of the monstera.

As with humans like a human, they’ll experience painful lips, mouths and throat. They’ll begin to behave in a similar way, constantly drooling and drinking a lot as well.

The lips and mouths of their patients may be swollen and red. It is possible that they will start vomiting.

However, it is highly unlikely that it would cause death to a dog or cat. It is likely that after the reaction is bad the pet will cease eating.

It is not likely to consume enough of the monstera to be life-threatening. However, if symptoms are serious, think about consulting a doctor in short time.

In addition to keeping an watch on the fact that your dog or cat is particularly interested in the plants in your garden, you might not be aware that they’ve been involved in a snack or two. In the end, you cannot observe them all day long.

Dog Lying Down

What Part of Monstera Deliciosa Is Poisonous?

Let’s begin with the least likely reason to be concerned If you have a monstera at home.

Fruit – Monstera occasionally produces fruits in the wild or in a greenhouse environment. Fruit that is not ripe may cause irritation to the membrane due to the presence of oxalate.

The majority of housebound monstera won’t produce fruit, however it’s not a reason to be worried about it.

Leaves are sometimes children may play with things around your home. Monstera leaves are large and beautiful and toddlers might be tempted by a bite.

However, they can create a burning sensation inside the mouth. If they are consumed in large quantities they can cause nausea, vomiting, and stomach discomfort.

Monstera has leaves that are smooth, which are actually beneficial. The plants with furry leaves can encourage airborne allergens.

Stems more specifically, the sap that can flow through the stems (and leaves) of the deliciosa plant , if there are tiny lacerations. This is the primary cause for irritation to the skin.

How to Discourage a Cat From Chewing Your Plant

If you think there’s an issue Here are a few ways to stop cats from engaging in the activity.

Cats are not a fan of citrus. Try placing some orange peels in the giant pot of plants. The more citrusy the scent is, the more appealing.

The majority of cats prefer to stay out of the zone. Certain owners also utilize vital citrus oils in their misting water.

Looking Elsewhere: What Houseplants are Bad for Allergies?

Let’s look at an in-depth look at some of the more commonly allergen-producing plant species and diseases that could cause itching, scratching and sniffles around your home.

In the first place, plants that are overwatered have the potential to worsen allergy symptoms. This is due to the fact that overwatering can encourage the growth of fungus and mold and spores are known to cause irritation to membranes.

Here are the top 9 criminal plants in relation to allergic reactions that can be caused at home:

  • African Violet
  • Bonsai Tree
  • Chrysanthemum
  • Fern
  • Fig (Ficus)
  • Ivy (Hedera) = A lot of ivy, not just poison ivy, could be the cause of this. Certain ivies can cause respiratory issues and severe skin reactions, so be cautious.
  • Orchid (Orchidaceae)
  • Palm (Arecaceae
  • Yucca

Last thoughts about Monstera Deliciosa and Allergies

Monstera is toxic. However, if you follow essential precautions, you won’t be a problem with the possible allergic reactions that can be that can be caused by monstera.

But rest assured, even if you do slip up. Most of the time the most severe repercussions you’ll experience is an irritated or red skin, as well as a painful and unpleasant stinging sensation of the membranes.

There’s no reason to put yourself in danger So, ensure that you take care of your massive collection of variegata with care, and it’ll be an excellent accessory to your home.

Stephanie

Stephanie

Went from a bad gardener to a half-decent one over 10+ years. Super happy to share my tips and tricks with you :)