Last Updated on August 11, 2022 by Stephanie
If the leaves of your snake plant are splitting, despite the fact that it is in compliance with all the specifications there is a problem.
In reality, it is able to endure a variety of adverse circumstances and thrives in growing conditions that arent ideal for it. It doesnt require a lot of care and will certainly last for quite a while. Lets look at the causes that cause the leaves of your snake plant to split.
The splitting of leaves or cracking are caused by a mix of causes, including the low humidity as well as physical injuries. A lack of boron can cause the leaves to become brittle and splits with time. In addition, other factors such as extreme temperatures as well as the existence of insects are the cause of this problem.
In the next article, I will go over the reasons behind this and how you can protect the leaves of your snake plant to avoid splitting and splitting.
Table of Contents
Causes of Snake Plant Leaves Splitting and How to Fix It
Leaves of the snake plants are the main draw. Im sure its a major turnoff when you notice the snake plants damaged leaves.
The splitting process could ruin the plants appearance and make the plant appear ugly. However its not necessary to throw into a panic.
There are ways you can solve these issues. Lets look at the ways we can find solutions to this issue.
Low humidity is among the main causes for cracking or splitting leaves of snake plants.
Because of the low humidity, leaves lose more water and become dehydrated. This results in leaves with low moisture levels can cause them to crack or split.
What to Do?
Heres what you can do: accomplish:
- The leaves are misted every day.
- It is possible to use an humidifier.
- DIY pebble tray methods is a great way to boost the humidity of the snake plant. (Just place some pebbles in the tray, then pour in some water over it, and then place the pot of your snake plant over it)
Boron is one of the micronutrients that plants require to form cell walls as well as stability and maintaining the structural membranes. If it is deficient, the plant will be weaker in its general structure, including its leaves. The leaves will become fragile and prone to cracking or splitting.
What should I do?
- Examine the pH of your soil. A pH that is too acidic or alkaline soil can hinder the absorption of Boron.
- Incorporate more organic matter into the soil in order to increase the supply of vital nutrients.
High Traffic Location
If the location of the snake plant is a place with a lot of traffic, the chances are high that it could split. The most frequented areas for traffic include doors and staircases, the areas where people are mainly moving through.
They could have accidentally moved their feet while moving between the two. The bags of their bags could have smashed against it. There are many possibilities, arent there?
What to Do?
- Put them in a place within the home where there is little movement (i.e. corners, windowsill, tabletops).
- Install a container display in your cabinet for the snake plants, so theres enough room for the plants.
- Inform your family members about the importance of your plant life to you. Instruct them to treat your plants with respect and care.
- Reduce the amount of plants you have if your indoor space is small.
I am aware that we may be overly excited when we put our plants in a display. However, ensure that their place is conducive to their development. You dont want your plants damaged do you?
You May Also Enjoy: How To Fix Snake Plant Root Rot (Step by Step)
Mechanical or Physical Damage
Though I dont want to mention that your adorable pets or cats could be the culprit and, yes they could be the ones to blame for the split.
Pets are certainly among the biggest enemies for indoor plant life. They enjoy playing with them, without even realizing that theyre actually destroying the environment.
They have cooling properties which is why they enjoy hanging around their surroundings.
What to Do?
- Plant your plant at a secure place that your pet arent able to get to. Be aware that snake plants can be poisonous to pets, so it is best to be sure to keep them out of reach.
- You can surround them with a barricade-like structure or a temporary fencing for your indoors to protect.
- Make use of large pots and/or plant holders to raise the plant off the ground.
- Teach your pets to not play with the others babies.
Dont be frustrated when you see your pets cause harm to the plants. Youll learn to proper balance to take care of both of them. Keep trying!
If you are moving around your snake plants without being cautious enough, you could cause physical harm to them. Therefore, prior to trying to move the plants from one location to another, you must create an outline first.
The goal is to limit the motion to avoid the risk of getting scratches or splits. You can also avoid spills or scratches.
What to Do?
- Keep a sketch of what arrangement that you would like to create.
- Take all the plants out, beginning with the smallest potted ones up to the largest and then place them outside the room.
- Arrange your home and return the plants one at a time to their new place.
- Be careful not to crowd your snake plant, especially when you have lots of other plants in your home (I know the craze, but be cautious).
There are correct ways and methods to handle your plants. Learn these as you progress in your plant-loving journey.
While Ive already mentioned snake plants are extremely adaptable, any excess heat could be dangerous. Temperature extremes can cause stress in plants.
The ideal situation is for snake plants to will tolerate temperatures ranging between 60 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit (1527 - 27 degrees Celsius). If temperatures get extreme low or high the plants will become damaged.
In particular, snake plants dislike extremely cold temperatures, less than 50 degrees Fahrenheit (15degC). This is a major concern in winter, so it is important to be vigilant about your plants.
What to Do?
- Do not put them in an area that is exposed to extreme low and high temperatures, such as heaters or air conditions.
- Use a shade as an insulator when the plants are on the window
- Change them to a different place whenever you need to, especially when its cold or too hot
Temperature fluctuations can destroy your plants quickly however, if youre cautious and cautious, you can protect your plants from danger. Its a good idea to check them every once every once in a while.
Snake plants dont like the amount of water theyre getting. If youre overwatering your plants, its likely to be the reason the leaves split. Keep in mind that the plants are succulents that prefers a dry and moist environment.
A high intake of water will cause the leaves to grow quickly. If temperatures rise and transpiration rates are high, the water is used up, and the leaves will shrink.
This article provides more details about saving the Overwatered Snake Plant and provides the most effective methods to revitalize the plant and avoid watering errors.
The sudden increase in shrinking and swelling can cause damage to the snakes cells. plant. This is why splitting can occur.
What to Do?
- Dont give your snake plant water daily. A couple of times a month is sufficient.
- Repot and choose a more appropriate soil mix, one that has good drainage.
- Place it in a location that is dry.
You May Also Enjoy: How Much Water Do Snake Plants Need? In-Depth Guide
Presence of Pests
Snake plants are robust with their leaves, but they arent as sturdy as you think, they are also afflicted by bugs like mealybugs and spider mites.
They are known to pull the sap away from their leaves, leaving tiny marks on the surface which could later turn into large cuts and splits.
What to Do?
- Make sure to check your plants on a regular basis and check for signs of insects.
- Remove any foreign organisms that you find within the plant.
- Remove plant components which are infected to the max and dispose of them properly.
Pests can reappear every once in some time, depending on the time of the year. Therefore, it is important to be alert to spot pests before they do damage to your plants. It is difficult to rehabilitate from a plant that is heavily infested .
You May Also Enjoy: Snake Plant Leaves Curling (11 Causes and Solutions)
How to Stop the leaves of the Snake Plant from splitting
Lets discuss ways to prevent the leaves of your snake plant from breaking. A good care regimen and keeping track of that the needs of your snake plant can help to avoid this issue.
Good Potting Mix
The soil you choose to plant in will play an important role in the growth of your garden. Be sure its abundant in organic matter and well-drained, free of mold and has a pH that is ideal (5 up to 6.5).
Make sure you mix up the correct quantity of amendments to soil prior to planting.
Create a space that provides ideal environment for snakes. Pick a spot with a shade layer.
Also, ensure that the plant isnt overcrowded and that the plant is in a stable positioning to prevent mechanical damage. Opt to have a dry and quiet environment.
Less Frequent Watering Schedule
The schedule will vary based on the time of year. If its dry, you can do it every week twice. If its cold and wintery its not necessary to do it every month. is sufficient.
Always allow the soil to become dry before you water it again.
Constant Check Up
Be aware that you are caring for living things which require your attention. Hands-on when working with plants is always essential.
Be aware of their behaviour and reactions to changes in the surroundings. It is best to identify the issue early in order to prevent further problems later on.
Always Do Your Research
Youll be amazed by the amount of information youll gain once you begin studying the basics of the cultivation of snake plants.
It is a good idea to learn about the plant you are working with. There are many sources to choose from and many of them provide solutions. (Source: University of Arkansas System)
Are Snake Plants Worth Another Try?
Yes! Its normal to have tears when youre gardening. Dont give up. Youve likely discovered the causes of the leaves of your snake plant are breaking.
Now you can breathe a feeling of relief since the majority of the reasons for such damages are easy to control and preventable.
Use the suggestions above and observe what happens. Are you willing to try again?